Okay, so big difference this year: we are not trying to get our boy into the AL's outfield. He's listed on the ballot as a DH (thanks to the game being played in Anaheim). Despite there only being one spot, instead of three, I think this is going to turn out to be an advantage for Junior. However, he certainly will have competition.
Junior's Main Opponents:
1. David Ortiz - It just doesn't really matter how poorly he plays or how little playing time he gets. He will have to be reckoned with in the voting.
2. Hideki Matsui - Obviously, being a former Yankee, lots of name recognition here. That, combined with the fact that he's a great player and putting together a very nice season (though early) in a pretty sizable market are going to make him a tough competitor.
3. Adam Lind - Great season so far this year and a terrific season last year. Probably "deserves" it from statistical standpoint, but here at Vote24junior.com, we're not exactly subscribers to the theory that one should get elected to the MLB ASG based on this season's performance.
4. Nick Johnson - Plays for the Yankees.
5. Vlad Guerrero - Former superstar is going to put up significant stats this year in Texas. Don't sleep on Vlad.
Under NO circumstances are you to throw a pity vote towards one of the aforementioned men. If you want to congratulate them on a good season, feel free to do so in the 2011 MLB ASG voting.
Voting is open! Go do your thing!